Countless variants and recipes for Gnocchi exist and every Italian granny has her own particular special touch that makes her gnocchi the best in Italy.
To tell you the truth I think my mamma makes the best gnocchi I have ever eaten and it is made like this recipe.
Try them and you'll see what I mean. One piatto (plate) of these and you'll be hooked!
If you eat them and still think you have a better recipe then send it to me at the bottom of the page and I'll make it for my family. I don't believe it will EVER be better but my family will vote and you never know!
Watch out too - if your recipe IS better my mamma will be after you with her wooden spoon:)
2 pounds of baking potatoes
1 cup all purpose flour
1 whole egg plus
1 egg white
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
An Italian tomato sauce
• Boil the potatoes in their jackets - my mamma always insisted this is the "secret", drain, peel and put through a food mill.
• While the potatoes are still nice and warm, mix in the flour, add to this the egg white, egg and salt.
• Place the potato mixture on a floured wooden board and knead lightly; the dough should be soft. Roll the dough in 1" thick sticks about 10" long. Cut each roll into 3/4" pieces. Rub each piece of dough lightly over the coarse side of a cheese grater.
• In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the gnocchi until they rise to the top of the water. If you leave them longer once they have floated to the top you end up with a soggy mess.
• Remove the gnocchi and place in a warm bowl. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese or Grana Padano to taste, in my case this means LOTS of cheese. It can also be served with a tomato based sauce (you can use this one).
I hope you enjoyed my gnocchi recipe. I keep adding new recipes to the site so please keep visiting and feel free to contact me if you are looking for a particular recipe. I will try my best to help. You can also search out my best recipes with our search engine below.
Do you make a particularly good Gnocchi, Lasagna or any other Italian dish? Share it with us!
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Ricotta Gnocchi Recipe. Little pillows that melt in your mouth!
My Father would make his Gnocchi recipe with me when I was a child. I remember we would sit around the kitchen table together after he had prepared the …
I make them very similar Not rated yet
My Grandmother come from Tyrol and she made hers the same about as you except we use grated raw potatoes and mix all the ingredients in a bowl after draining …