Need a recipe for sardines? Want the BEST? These are to die for. If you don't believe me, I dare you to try the recipe.
My mamma and her mamma and on and on have been making it like this for centuries. It can't be made better. It has past the test of time.
List of Ingredients
• 1 cup of flour.
• 60 gram of sultanas.
• 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
• Teaspoon of coriander seeds.
• A glass of white wine – I always use Pinot Grigio.
• 4 tablespoons of white vinegar.
• Salt to taste although add very little as the sardines are naturally salty – I just add a pinch.
• 600 grams of sardines.
• 50 grams of pine nuts.
• Vegetable oil for frying the sardines.
• 2 White onions.
• 2 cloves.
• A little pepper to taste.
• Clean the sardines and dust them in the flour.
• Open the wine and have a glass to prepare you for the work ahead.
• Soak the sultanas in the white wine.
• Put enough oil in the frying pan to cover the sardines when they go in and heat the oil until very hot.
• Add the sardines, fry quickly turning once a cook until golden brown and then remove draining the excess oil and adding a touch of salt.
• Cut the onion up into very fine pieces and add to the olive oil until they begin to absorb the color of the oil then add vinegar, pepper, coriander and cloves.
• In a separate pot (not the one you cooked the sardines in) cook the vinegar/olive oil/onion marinade on boiling for two or three minutes.
• Place a layer of sardines on a dish add a little of the onions from the marinade and then a few sultanas and pine nuts. Keep adding layers until the ingredients are finished. The last layer must be onions and pour any remaining marinade over this.
• Cover and place in the warmest part of the refrigerator overnight to allow the marinade to be absorbed.
I hope you enjoy the recipe.
If you are looking for more great recipes from Venice Italy and anywhere else in Italy please give our search engine below a try.