An Italian Asparagus Recipe
This asparagus recipe is very simple. It is very common in Veneto and makes a perfect starter course.
The cheese is really important with this dish, if you don’t use
the right cheese it changes the recipe completely and the end result is
nowhere near as delicious.
I of course have the added problem that if
the cheese isn't right I am going to have a complaining husband ... boy
can he go on!
A bunch of fresh green asparagus.
- 100 gr, of grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano cheese.
- 50 gr, butter.
- A dash of salt and pepper.
- half a liter of milk.
- 4 eggs.
- 150 gr of bread crumbs
- A nice crisp loaf of Italian bread
- Clean the asparagus and remove the heads from them.
- Boil the asparagus in salted water, drain and allow them to cool.
- Line an oven dish with butter.
- Beat the eggs and add salt, pepper, milk and the bread crumbs.
- Spread some of the egg mix on the base of the oven dish and place the asparagus into the dish.
- Cover the asparagus with the egg mix and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 160°C for 30 minutes
I like to eat this with a nice big hunk of crispy Italian bread - something like Pane Croce del Sud - a really wonderful bread. If you can get it where you are try it, I'm sure you will love it as much as I do.
Maria & Andrew
Looking for more Italian recipes? We have lots and lots of really tasty ones on this site and on our other Italian site. The best way to find them is to use our site search engine below.
Please Book with Us...
Maria here, if you enjoy my site I'd love your support.
Simply book your next trip anywhere (not only to Italy) with the search box below or with any of the hotel links on the website.
I promise you'll get the best deal on accommodation available and the income we receive helps us to remain independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.