This is the way I have always made lasagna. It is the way my mamma
taught me and this homemade lasagna recipe is something my family love.
In fact I sometimes think my husband married me because of it!
Every weekend he would somehow know my mamma had lasagna in the oven
and would turn up just in time.
Of course we always found a place for
him and all the others who seemed to turn up too.
I used to make
the béchamel sauce too but now I normally buy it. It saves a lot of
trouble and to be honest it really doesn’t change anything.
still the BEST lasagna you are ever going to eat.
You think your
mamma has a better recipe?
It is NEVER going to happen but send me yours
down bottom. I'll cook it and test it on my darling marito.
he gives 10/10 - let's see what yours gets :-)
P.S. If you love Italian food and our recipe please click like below...
- 10 oz. Lasagna pasta
- 20 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 stick celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 glass of wine
- 1 1/2 lb. lean minced/ground beef
- pinch of ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- Béchamel sauce
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Ingredients for Béchamel Sauce
- 1 quart of milk (4 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pinch of nutmeg
Making the Béchamel Sauce
- Warm the milk but don't allow it to boil.
- Melt butter in another saucepan
- Add flour and whisk until all lumps are gone
- Pour in the milk and add in salt, nutmeg and pepper.
- Whisk until smooth and creamy
- Cook pasta according to package directions or until tender but
still firm - al dente as they say in Italy.
- To make the sauce, saute the onion in the olive oil for 4
minutes. Add the beef and celery and saute 10 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook 10 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
tomatoes, salt and pepper, reduce heat and simmer sauce 35 to 40 minutes or
until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Grease a large baking
dish. Arrange a first layer of bechamel, next the pasta sheets, a layer of the beef and sauce then parmesan cheese, Continue adding
layers until the dish is full ending up with a top layer of sauce.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Liked this homemade lasagna recipe? Why not subscribe to my free monthly newsletter
and start receiving our recipe of the month.
Please Book with Us...
Maria here, if you enjoy my site and Facebook page I'd love your support.
Simply book your next trip anywhere (not only to Italy) with the search box below or with any of the hotel links on the website.
I promise you'll get the best deal on accommodation available and the income we receive from HotelsCombined helps us to:
- Stay independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.
- Never have to accept money from hotels directly; that way we can share only those we genuinely love.
Grab your bucket list... I've 9 Secrets from Southern Italy to share with you. Can you believe places like this even exist?
My Father would make his Gnocchi recipe with me when I was a child. I remember we would sit around the kitchen table together after he had prepared the
These Veneto & Venice restaurants don’t cater for the tourist trade but to locals and you won’t find many of these restaurants in any guide book . What you will find are excellent restaurants
So you need a good restaurant in Padova? Well, we've discovered just the place: a little family run restaurant serving traditional dishes in the heart of the old town.