This is the way I have always made lasagna. It is the way my mamma
taught me and this homemade lasagna recipe is something my family love.
In fact I sometimes think my husband married me because of it!
Every weekend he would somehow know my mamma had lasagna in the oven
and would turn up just in time.
Of course we always found a place for
him and all the others who seemed to turn up too.
I used to make
the béchamel sauce too but now I normally buy it. It saves a lot of
trouble and to be honest it really doesn’t change anything.
still the BEST lasagna you are ever going to eat.
P.S. If you love Italian food and this recipe please click like below...
- 10 oz. Lasagna pasta
- 20 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 stick celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 glass of wine
- 1 1/2 lb. lean minced/ground beef
- pinch of ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- Béchamel sauce
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Ingredients for Béchamel Sauce
- 1 quart of milk (4 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pinch of nutmeg
Making the Béchamel Sauce
- Warm the milk but don't allow it to boil.
- Melt butter in another saucepan
- Add flour to the butter and whisk until all lumps are gone
- Pour in the milk and add in salt, nutmeg and pepper.
- Whisk until smooth and creamy
- Cook pasta according to package directions or until tender but
still firm - al dente as they say in Italy.
- To make the sauce, saute the onion in the olive oil for 4
minutes. Add the beef and celery and saute 10 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook 10 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
tomatoes, salt and pepper, reduce heat and simmer sauce 35 to 40 minutes or
until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Grease a large baking
dish. Arrange a first layer of bechamel, next the pasta sheets, a layer of the beef and sauce then parmesan cheese, Continue adding
layers until the dish is full ending up with a top layer of sauce.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Liked this homemade lasagna recipe? Why not subscribe to my free monthly newsletter
and start receiving our recipe of the month.
Our lasagna - ready for the oven...
Please Book with Us...
Maria here, if you enjoy my site and Facebook page I'd love your support.
Simply book your next trip anywhere (not only to Italy) with the search box below or with any of the hotel links on the website.
I promise you'll get the best deal on accommodation available and the income we receive from HotelsCombined helps us to:
- Stay independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.
- Never have to accept money from hotels directly; that way we can share only those we genuinely love.
Wondering what to see in Sicily? We've a lot of fabulous suggestions that you will absolutely LOVE!
People often ask us why they should travel to Italy? Why not the UK, France, Thailand or Florida? This is the answer I give them...
In many ways it is in Bari that the heart and soul of Puglia is to be found. Bari is real, Bari is vibrant and Bari is enchanting. Watch out for flying wooden spoons though!