Things Never to Do in Italy
You want to make a good impression in Italy right? You don't want to be that typical tourist do you? Well then, make sure you NEVER do any of these things when in Italy...
Out & About
- Don't drive a big car. Roads are very narrow in Italy and I have seen tourists in huge SUVs getting stuck down narrow lanes. GPS WILL direct you down roads leading to your destination, but it doesn't mean your car will always fit. My advice: stick with a classic little Fiat and celebrate a part of Italy's history.
- AVOID ZTL Zones - you can read what they are and how to avoid them in our guide to driving in Italy.
- Avoid getting caught by tours promising that you will see Italy in 14 days etc. etc. You won't see anything of Italy that way. Here's why.
- Always validate your ticket before boarding the train. There are little machines on each platform - you insert your ticket in the machine as per the instructions (which are in English and Italian).
Bar & Restaurant
- Never ask for a Latte! Latte means milk in Italy and that's what you will get ... a glass of milk!
- Don't tip in restaurants. Tips are included already.
- No cappuccino in the afternoon or evening. Yes, Italian cappuccino is addictive, the best! But Italians only drink it in the morning. Order it after 12 p.m. and they will think you crazy... or just a typical tourist. Oh, and after meals it's espresso only ... NEVER cappuccino.
- Don't ask for butter on your bread at a restaurant. You get wonderfully fresh Italian bread but Italians think that adding butter, or dipping it, is ruining it.
Spaghetti & Pizza
- NEVER ask for pineapple on your pizza. It is so wrong on so many levels and will likely make your waiter feel ill.. just the thought of it is a shocking blow to an Italian's constitution.
- Don't complain your pasta is too hard. It is supposed to be like that, it's called al dente.
- Eat spaghetti with a fork. No spoon and no knife.
- Parmesan on seafood pasta? Never, mustn't happen. This is a worse crime than pineapple on pizza.
- Spaghetti Bolognese? It doesn't exist in Italy - except in real touristy restaurants and such restaurants you should avoid at all costs. Instead of spaghetti bolognese Italians eat this.
- The same applies for Pasta Alfredo and Spaghetti & Meatballs. This is the real way creamy pasta is made - without cream. While we do eat meatballs (my mother makes the best), we just don't mix them with spaghetti.
Looking for More Videos?
Please Book with Us...
Maria here, if you enjoy my site and Facebook page I'd love your support.
Simply book your next trip anywhere (not only to Italy) with the search box below or with any of the hotel links on the website.
I promise you'll get the best deal on accommodation available and the income we receive from HotelsCombined helps us to:
- Stay independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.
- Never have to accept money from hotels directly; that way we can share only those we genuinely love.
Looking to escape the tourist madness of cities like Venice and Rome? Longing to spend time in a quieter Italy? We have EXACTLY what you need!
I hear from so many people frustrated about not being able to return to Italy. I feel for them. I know it is tough. It is tough for us too. Our main source of income was hotel bookings and advertising…
This is incredible! Who would ever have believed that Venice would ever look like this. Gone are the tourists, gone is the noise, the chaos. The stores are closed and the only sounds now are the sound…
Venice is not only the Bridge of Sighs and St Marks Square. There is a whole lot more to this great city. Join me, Maria, exploring the Venetian wonders few ever discover.