Earthquake Risk in Italy
We are often asked where the earthquake risk in Italy is at its most dangerous. We've the answer for you: not only the most at risk but the least at risk regions too.
A few areas in particular stand out, they are as follows:
- The central mountain range area running from Umbria and Le Marche all the way down to Calabria;
- South-western part of Calabria;
- North-eastern and south-western coasts of Sicily;
- The area north of Udine, bordering Slovenia, in Italy's far north-east corner.
The low risk areas include:
- Eastern parts of Piedmont;
- Most of Lombardy;
- Trentino-Alto Adige;
- Southern Veneto;
- Southern coast of Tuscany;
- The southern half Puglia (from south of Bari to the southern tip of Puglia).
Earthquake Risk Map
For the official Italian seismic risk map for Italy click here.
If you are going on vacation to Italy then the earthquake risk will probably not influence your decision on where to visit. I am no statistician, but I would think that the risk of an earthquake happening during your week or two in Italy would be tiny.
Of course, there is never a guarantee of anything these days so always make sure you are insured - see our important advice here.
However, if you are buying property then you need to seriously consider if it is wise to buy in an earthquake prone area.
Firstly, because any property you see may have previous earthquake damage that you are unaware of.
Secondly, there is always the risk of a future earthquake destroying your Italian dream and risking your life in the space of minutes.
The choice is yours! However, be sure you read our guide to insuring a home in Italy against earthquakes etc.
Please Book with Us...
Maria here, if you enjoy my site and Facebook page I'd love your support.
Simply book your next trip anywhere (not only to Italy) with the search box below or with any of the hotel links on the website.
I promise you'll get the best deal on accommodation available and the income we receive from HotelsCombined helps us to:
- Stay independent and to keep bringing you the best of Italy.
- Never have to accept money from hotels directly; that way we can share only those we genuinely love.
Wondering what to see in Sicily? We've a lot of fabulous suggestions that you will absolutely LOVE!
People often ask us why they should travel to Italy? Why not the UK, France, Thailand or Florida? This is the answer I give them...
In many ways it is in Bari that the heart and soul of Puglia is to be found. Bari is real, Bari is vibrant and Bari is enchanting. Watch out for flying wooden spoons though!